- Joomla Manual Setup
- Script your First Article in Joomla
- Customize your Website with Joomla
- Manage Extensions in Joomla
Joomla Manual Setup
The manual installation of Joomla is always seemed to be a complicated task but that is not the reality. You can easily run the Joomla setup manually with these few steps below.
#1 Database Creation
In general, a database is the collection of your website’s information stored together in a place. Technically, it is called as ‘tables’ which contains rows and columns full of your website’s data.
To create your database head to MySQL Databases in the control panel. Create a user for the database and a database. Now link the user to that database and proceed to the next step.
#2 Set up Joomla Engine
Download Joomla by clicking here. You will get an archived file containing Joomla setup files. Just upload this file to your website’s root folder and unzip it.
#3 Setting up your website with Joomla
Type in the domain name in the URL bar and enter the website address. It’s that simple!
You can change this information anytime you want. Now click Next > Next until you see Install.
#4 Install Joomla
In the Next window, you will see a message telling you to remove the installation folder that you have unzipped in Step 2. Just proceed as it has finished its job.
#5 Login as Administrator
Congrats! Now you can log in to your admin page simply by adding /administrator to your domain name.
Script your First Article in Joomla
As soon as you log into Joomla, you will see the Joomla admin panel. Now its time to script your first post.
Follow the steps below to publish your first post.
1. Your First Article
Find the New Article icon on the left sidebar. There is also another way to do it, Content > Articles > Add New Article.
You will now immediately see a text editor with few formatting option on the top.
Give your article a title and fill up some description in the post field and click Save & Close button. Your first article is ready! At present, you will be in the Content tab. There are few other tabs like Publishing tab which helps you create a calendar of publications.
Time to add some Search Engine Optimization (SEO) attributes to the post you have created. It is one of the great features of Joomla that you don’t have to add external plugins or extensions to do that as everything comes built-in.
In the Contents tab, you can see the basic publication options of your article.
- Status: Published or keep it as a draft.
- Featured: Select this for the article to get displayed on the home page.
- Access: Choose who can view your post – all visitors or only registered and so on.
- Tags: Organize your posts with tags.
- Categories: Categorize your posts.
Categories play an important role in organizing the blog posts. See how to do it.
2. Categorize with Categories
Joomla has its own settings for categories and subcategories.
- To create a new category, Content > Categories > Create New Category.
- To create a new subcategory, Content > Categories > Create New Category.
In the sidebar, select Parent and select a category you want to add this subcategory to. You have a dedicated sidebar for basic settings and additional features.
3. Create New Pages
Here is how to create a page with Joomla and make it appear on your web page.
- To create a Page with Joomla go to Menus > Manage > Add New Menu.
- To make some pages appear under that menu, go to Menu > “Newly created Menu” > Add New Menu Item. The items you have created will appear as new web pages under the menu.
- To make these pages appear on your website you need to add modules to them. Modules are the tools in Joomla that helps pages display on your website. Get to the tab Module Assignment which you will see while creating your Menus. Choose from the menus listed there. Also, you can create your own modules from the top toolbar Extensions > Modules and assign menus to them.
Customize your Website with Joomla
You can customize each and every bit of your website with Joomla, from contacts, extensions to themes and even more.
1. Customizing your Website with Themes
The Themes or the templates are the primary elements in making your website look better. Not only the look, the functionality and the performance also greatly depends on these templates. Like every Content Management Systems (CMS), Joomla also has a plenty of themes for free.
Always the best way to find out a best free theme is to get a free or trail version of a premium theme. Because you can find the quality in them rather finding some poor rated or vulnerable free themes.
Or go for a premium stuff if you really want to take your site higher with some big plans.
Chose a Right Theme?
You should consider these steps before choosing a right theme for your website.
- Support: See that your template provider has a good support base to help you out during an issue.
- Updates: Joomla is a frequent updater of its engine, So make sure that the theme provider makes frequent updates to meet up with the system changes of Joomla.
- Edits: Select a theme in which you can add some of your taste in that. The theme should allow you to alter some features according to your website.
- Stock Images: Ensure that you get the stock photos you see on the demo for free. It’s not that important if your website is not image reliant.
- Responsiveness: This is one of the important features that the template should gel with any mobile screen without any difficulty.
- Multi-Browser Compatibility: The website should be capable of running smoothly on any browser like Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, etc.
How to Install My Theme?
Installing a theme in Joomla requires just a few clicks. Go to Extensions > Manage and click Browse. Select and upload your theme’s .zip file.
With Joomla, you can install as many themes you want and apply them one by one to your website to compare. Go to Extensions > Templates and choose a theme to set it as your website’s default.
Manage Extensions in Joomla
Joomla has extensions for nearly everything in its extension base. With extensions, you can make your website anything and everything. Extensions.joomla.org is the place where all the Joomla extensions are listed. With these you can make you make your website like what you can imagine!
Here are some of the most popularly used Joomla Extensions:
Backups: Akeeba backups is the most widely used website backup extension.
File Manager: Get to manage your database files easily with the Phoca commander.
Maps: The most common Google maps extension will help you place maps on your website.
If you want to use any of the extensions, just download the .zip file from the extensions.joomla.org and upload it on the Extensions > Manage. Now your extension is ready to use.
That’s it. Your website is set to run perfectly with Joomla! Having said, your website with Joomla is all live and if you face any issues comment below and i will help you out.